Saturday, September 11, 2010

the park mommies

It has been awhile since I have written.  Lots of reasons.  Working full time-ish is exhausting and draining. I was bored of my posts and really felt like I had nothing to say...again probably due to exhaustion.  But today that changed!  I have something to say...and of course it is an unfortunate event that makes me return to blogging.

We went to the park today, which up until this point I have really enjoyed taking Avery there.  She loves to watch the other kids, swing, and look at the flowers and squirrels.  It also really tires her out and she sleeps much better.  Today we were in need of a trip to the park, as the first 45 minutes of her morning nap were spent crying, playing with her pacifier, standing and crying (yes, she is pulling to standing and it is about the only thing she cares about), saying "uh-oh" (totally adorable), and crying some more.  When she finally fell asleep she only slept for about 30 minutes.  Short story long, we NEEDED the park.

We stopped to get a coffee.  Parked the stroller near the swings.  Played on the swing and watched all the littles play soccer and run around the play structures.  We had a bottle and talked to a really nice couple with a little girl a couple of months younger than Avery.  We played on the structure and this is when it happened.  The "mean mommy" experience.  Now I had yet to encounter the "mean mommy" thing on my own and was really taken aback.  And as I am thinking about what happened, it wasn't even really that "mean," but I was really bothered by it.  So a little girl was interested in Avery.  She came and sat next to us on the structure.  I had seen her walk into the playground with her mom and little sister.  Her mom had seen me, as she set her stuff down next to me while Avery had her bottle.  Avery's hat blew off of her head and the little girl went to get it for us.  As I got up to get off the structure and get it from her, the mom started to bee line for us.  She asked the little girl to go and play with her sister as I waved and said hello.  The woman turned on her heel (seriously) and didn't even acknowledge me.

Now I know there is a chance that she didn't hear me, but I am pretty sure she saw me.  Being very upset by her reaction I started to pack up to go.  Our stuff was right next to where she was sitting.  She never turned to look at me, never smiled, just sat totally stiff, almost as if she was trying really hard not to move and maybe I wouldn't notice her.  I didn't get it.  My stuff was as nice as hers.  I was dressed as well as she was.  I am a clean and pleasant looking person.  What was the problem??

What is even sadder is that I met several very nice moms and families at the park and I am letting this one mom ruin our lovely afternoon.  Maybe now that I have gotten that off my chest I will be able to let it go.

Have any of you ever dealt with a situation like this?  Do you confront it?  Should I have walked right up and introduced myself and told her what a sweet daughter she had?  

No comments:

Post a Comment