Sunday, May 9, 2010

5:40 a.m. for crying out loud!

A few weeks ago I noticed Avery was waking up before 7 a.m.  This was a bit frustrating to her dad and me. We like to sleep... A LOT!  We were so happy that we were able to sleep until 7 most mornings, and some mornings even later.  Avery also had a great napping schedule going.

  • Up at 7
  • Nap from 9-11
  • Nap from 1-3
  • Catnap from 5-5:30
  • Bed around 7:30
  • Night time feed anywhere from 2 a.m. - 4 a.m.
Pretty good.  Great in fact!  I was secretly patting myself on the back for having an amazing sleeper.  I should have known better.  Every time I have done this in the past all went to...you know!  So for no reason her naps got screwy around mid-April.  Completely unpredicatable.  A few days later the early morning wakings started to be follwed by many, many night wakings.  

We have tried to put her to bed later ( I know, I know, sleep begets sleep, but we had to try).  Then we tried to put her to bed earlier....no good there either!  Slowly her wake up time for the day moved from 6:45 a.m. to the lovely 5:40 a.m.!!  Can you believe it?!

People keep saying that she is just going to be one of those babies who rises with the sun.  Friends keep telling us that their children started to get up that early around 6 months and are still doing it!  Their kids are like 6 and 7 years old!!  I really do not want to buy that!  

I have to wonder if going back to work has anything to do with it.  I get up anywhere between 5 a.m. and 6 a.m.  I think she hears me.  The hardwood floors in our house squeak something fierce.  I have been doing as much "getting ready" as far away from her bedroom as possible, which means that I don't even have my coffee and breakfast at home anymore.  

So this is half venting/complaining about the crappy wake-up time.  And really, most mornings I am up at that time, so it is not all about me, but more the husband who has to get up and deal with her in the morning (but I will admit it would have been nice to not wake up at 5:40 a.m. on my day off).  And half asking if anyone has any experience with this and/or advice.

Oh and Happy, Happy Mother's Day!  Hope everyone is spending it doing something to celebrate how amazing this job is!  

3 comments:

  1. We've got an early riser too, though 5:40 is painfully early. Camden gets up anywhere between 6:30-8 but most days it's closer to 6:30. I, too, have tried an earlier & a later bedtime and it just doesn't matter. His internal alarm clock is stuck at 6:30ish. Fun! If anyone gives you any good advice that works, be sure to let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The internal alarm clock is terrible. No matter when we put our daughter down she wants to wake up around 6-6:30 and I've noticed that now that she's 5 1/2 months she's started to be more unpredictable in her napping. I think that teething coupled with a new awareness of their surroundings is the culprit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh man 5:40! Sometimes my daughter does this, we let her play in her crib for a bit if she's not crying and often she falls back to sleep within 20 minutes or so and sleeps until 7. Have you tried cutting out that 5ish nap? When we did that our daughter started sleeping longer through the night. I wouldn't doubt it's the change in you going back to work though and should work itself out within a month or so.

    ReplyDelete